A seriously ill child is fighting for her life after contracting salmonella food poisoning in the hospital.
Three-year-old Freya Hunter, who needs to be fed through a tube, caught the killer bug during treatment.
Mom Carolynne Hunter believes her daughter got the bug while being fed milk and water through the tube in the hospital’s high dependency unit.
She was told Edinburgh’s Royal Hospital for Sick Children had withdrawn feeding tubes and sterile milk to be tested as part of the infection probe.
NHS Lothian confirmed a “tube-fed” patient had contracted salmonella and that everything was being done to prevent the spread of infection.
Freya, who has cerebral palsy, epilepsy, spinal curvature, blindness and can’t speak or eat and has to be tube-fed, was rushed to hospital after going into respiratory arrest.